Founded in Strasbourg in 1991, CercleS is a confederation of independent associations from 22 countries in Europe. Aims
It brings together some 350 Language Centres, Departments, Institutes, Faculties or Schools in Higher Education whose main responsibility is the teaching of language. Its members have several thousand academic, administrative and technical staff, and some 250,000 students who learn all the world's main languages. CercleS is committed to the highest possible standards in language education and research.
To support language centres in European establishments of higher education, for the provision of language training backed up by appropriate technological and pedagogical resources.
To promote research in foreign language learning at international level.
To encourage international and interdisciplinary cooperation between language centres in order to enable them to co-ordinate the pursuit of their objectives.
In order to achieve its aims CercleS organises conferences, distributes a regular printed Bulletin to all its members, runs electronic bulletin boards and publishes its conference proceedings. CercleS also facilitates:
- staff trainingstaff
- exchanges between centres
- research into language teaching and learning
- observatories on technological developments
- scholarly publication
Membership fees for 2019 and for 2020
The CercleS membership fee for 2019 and for 2020 is set for 100 EUR per workplace/year.
Each national association or an associate member pays the
fees directly to the CercleS bank account till the end of March. For further
info on the payment details,
This fee entitles a member to:
1. get regular information about the CercleS activities (seminars, workshops, conferences, focus group events, calls for publications)
2. participate in CercleS activities conferences at a reduced fee
3. participate in CercleS conferences at a reduced fee
4. get access to the CercleS website (members' area)
5. get access to all Mouton De Gruyter publications in the login area of the CercleS website
6. get an opportunity to become a part of the community sharing values and ideas of modern language and communication learning in HEA.