We would like to invite you to the following webinar:
"Covid-19 and language education: Two challenges, one response"
ECML Webinar for language education decision makers
David Little, Trinity College Dublin
Thursday 3 December 15:45 - 16:30 CET
No one knows when the world will find a solution to the Covid-19 problem, and no one knows whether we shall ever return to what we think of as normality. In these circumstances, it seems appropriate to start looking for effective responses to the educational challenges posed by Covid-19. Members of the Council of Europe’s Standing Committee for Education Policy and Practice and the ECML’s Governing Board have identified public examinations and distance learning as areas of particular concern in language education. This webinar will briefly discuss these concerns and outline a possible response based on the CEFR and its Companion Volume.
The webinar is intended forlanguage education decision makers – e.g. those responsible for policy and/or for curricula and assessmentwho are interested in the issues raised and would like to explore the possibility of working towards a solution in collaboration with other countries under the aegis of the ECML.
Intending participants may like to reflect on the following questions prior to the webinar:
· Are foreign language curricula in your country aligned with the CEFR? If yes, in what way(s)
· Is school work included in the assessment of students at the end of their schooling? If yes, how do you monitor and "standardize” grades given by teachers?
· Is portfolio learning part of your country’s pedagogical tradition?
· Did your country develop one or more versions of the European Language Portfolio? If yes, is it/are they still in use? If your ELP(s) are no longer in use, why do you think this is?
· How effectively are students in your country prepared for self-directed learning of the kind imposed by Covid-19 restrictions? How do schools and teachers support such learning?
· Registration is required. Register here: https://www.ecml.at/Resources/Webinars/tabid/5456/Default.aspxThis webinar will be held in English only.